Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Time passes...

Well, it looks like there's a huge gap in my crib-making documentation. The following steps don't have pictures, so you'll have to be content with just seeing the finished product at the end.

First I cut a groove 1/4" wide and 1/2" deep along the inside edges of the rails and styles. This groove holds the maple panel in place. Next I cut the maple panels to size. As with the mortises, this cut is complicated by the fact that the top tail is curved. Finally, I cut a rabbet along all the edges of each panel: the idea is to leave a 1/4" thick lip that slides into the grooves in the frame. This technique is standard frame-and-panel assembly.

Next I designed decorative cut-outs for the panels. On one side I have a night-time scene: moon and stars. On the other side I have a day-time scene: sun and reeds. The only neat-o aspect of the cut-outs is that the star pattern matches the constellation Scorpius, which is Jonah's zodiac sign. Cut-outs are easy to design, but not so easy to cut out. I used a combination of the power drill, saber saw, and hand tools. Cleaning up the results required lots of hand chiseling.

Finally, I glued the parts of each side together. Note that the only glued parts are the rails and styles of the frame. The panel is not glued -- it "floats" in the groove, allowing seasonal expansion and contraction of the wood. All in all, I think the sides came out great. Note, however, the very serious face of the "customer".

No comments: