Saturday, September 20, 2008

On the Rails

The last couple of days in the shop I focused on the top rails of the front and back. In the previous post you can see that each rail is a slab of cherry 6" wide and about 1 1/2" thick. In the design these rails curve forward and backward to match the curve of the legs. The rails are then attached to the slat assemblies.

Shaping the rails involved several steps. First, I made a 12 degree cut on the edge of each rail so that when butted against the slat assembly the sit at the proper angle. At this point, though, the faces are still flat. Next I made two very shallow angled cuts on the face of each board that roughly follow the intended curve. Then I used a combination of planing and sanding to finish the curve.




Attaching the rail to the slat assembly presents a challenge. The joint needs to be strong, but it's difficult to clamp because of the angle. My solution is to use a spline. First I cut a 3/8" groove in the mating edges of both parts. I then cut a strip of hard maple (the spline) to join the two pieces. The spline not only strengthens the joint, it also helps keep the parts aligned during clamping.

Here are a few pictures of the front with the legs -- it's really starting to look like a bed! Tomorrow I'll glue the rails and finish shaping the legs.

1 comment:

Ellyn said...

Dear, Dear, Sam,

I cannot tell you how interesting it has been to follow your "crib of Love"undertaking.
Your work is flawless (at least to me) and although there are a lot of technical usages, since you are such a good teacher, I followed everything pretty well. The wood looks so beautiful, interesting and 'like butter', I cannot wait to run my hands over it!
Continue to enjoy doing what you love so much, because having a special hobby makes life so much more enjoyable!
I know that "the Baby" will be so proud to know the love you had for him before he was even born! It will really be a wonderful piece to be passed down and loved by many, many children, grandchildren and future Guyers (and maybe other Sterns, if Michael and Becka change their minds)!
Love to both you and Aliza,
Ellyn
Love,
Ellyn